Welcome! My name is Katherine and I like to cook while eating (gets rid of that ravenous hunger thing). Please have a look at my recipes and always remember, never cook on an empty stomach!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Beet Kale Salad


This recipe is kind of an "everything but the sink" lunch, but the results were tasty and so, so filling. If you don't like beets, I'm sure you could sub purple potatoes or something equally tasty and starchy.

Ingredients
2 beets
2 tablespoons of freshly minced ginger or powdered ginger (which I used)
1/2 container of Whole Food's Kale&Sesame Seaweed Salad (from the prepared foods section)
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

Method
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Since beets take forever to bake, it's good to start this recipe BEFORE you're hungry for lunch. Or you can always do a little cooking while eating;)
2) Wrap beets in foil, and place in oven. Let bake for 1 hour.
3)Remove beets from oven, drain juices, and let cool.
4) While beets cool, hard boil an egg (drop egg into boiling water and leave in for 10 minutes. Run cool water over when done). Slice the finished egg.
5) Mix the beets and hard boiled egg slices with the kale salad, add the rest of the ingredients. DO NOT salt, Whole Foods does enough of that with this salad.

1 comment:

  1. OMG I love beets. I will have to try this! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete